Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Records

It started back in July when I frist moved to Calgary, I got this notion that it would be great to own a record player and records, get back to some of the old sounds of childhood. I enjoy the grainy feel that comes from them. In this direction I headed, Sally annes are the best for this, they sell records second hand for one dollar each. I found a small amount that I had never expected to come across and lot more that I would never even wish to test.

For the player I started my search in the bargain finder, a small want add where people sell, trade and give away things they no longer wish to own. I found two that seemed promising so I called them up and then drove across the city (literally from bottom to top) to look at the one, well the sound that came out of this machine was not so nice, a little lacking in one speaker and a little to scratchy in the other. I told the woman that it was not quite what I was looking for but could I buy this record. She did not understand, not many people know who this artist is but he was a childhood favorite of mine and my families. In the end I bought it for ten dollars, Larry Norman is one of the first Christian rock and roll artists. I then found the other player located further south and had reason to believe that it should do fine. It needed a stereo so I found one in the, well where else do you think I would be looking, of course it was the Sally Anne. Nasty sounding piece of equipment. What can one expect for 7 bucks? In the end I was not happy, atually highly disappointed. I feared there should be no answer to my dilemma.

It then came at the most unexpected time in the least likely place from the most unlikely person. As I stood cutting a clients hair I over heard one of the regular clients going on and on about how she was trying to get rid of things from her house and the wonderful thing about this woman is that she is so annoying. She must describe in detail everything that is involved. If not for this I would not have heard her mention a record player that she no longer wished to have around. After a long conversation that just went in circles I managed to find a time when I could look at it. While looking at it and trying to make it work (it was very stubborn at first) she, being the very silly woman that she is, would go on trying in hopes that changing the recored would make the player go. Ah me that was a time just trying to figure it out while she kept on about useless things. Anyhow It works now and it is in my home, very well run record player that cost me nothing. I am a very happy girl.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home