Tuesday, April 20, 2004

Work

Today I entered the back door at work and a memory most terrible hit the for front of my mind.

THE TILL WAS OUT $800 ON SATURDAY!

This is a nasty thing for that means it must have gone somewhere. Now the thing that made this most nasty state a thing to not look forward to was the fact that my boss has by now seen this and is panic stricken. I was right, she sat at the front with a cloud over her head. Now if you have never seen this effect Then you have not seen a shop owner who has found out $800 is missing from the till. The cloud hung over her for about an hour. My heart continued to sink, deep into the depths of me, burning a hole in my shoe. Now not only did my heart sink for my boss but also in fear. Not of being caught for what I have not done but instead of being accused of the same.
You see my boss has had a few of her apprentices mess her up. Steeling scissors worth a couple hundred. She was very apprehensive of hiring me from so many bad experiences. Now I knew that I had built up a very good reputation for myself but a persons mind can run in all directions when they have ruled out the possibility of a client somehow steeling said cash.

It was found to have been hidden in the debits. See what happened is one of the other girls totaled up the debit machine while I added the cash. She then put the debits in the pile of other debits from this month as we always do. I had not yet added all cash and debit totals to see if the till balanced so I proceeded to remove the debits from the top of the pile to add. Problem was that she had placed that days on the bottom of the pile and not the top. So the day I had added to the total was actually Fridays and not Saturdays. 800 dollars less.

My boss swore. I understood, she even had tears in her eyes. She was ready to cry when this all came to light. She then told me how she found her mind going all possible directions. She did not say it but I know that she thought it.
It had crossed her mind, she had feared the worst, one of us last two had walked out the back door with a fist full of cash. She had gone through the scenario in her mind on how she would ask us if we took it and we would proceed to deny it. She had thought it all. I know, I saw it in her eyes, heard it in her voice. I was relieved not because I had gotten away with something but because she had been spared the agony of firing one of us, believing that we would not admit to the trust broken. She was freed from the pain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home