Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Growing old

Today as I drove through the city picking up stuff for the job my dad and I are working on I would catch glimpses of the mountains with the sun shining off of there snow tipped peaks. The idea came to mind that I was watching them grow old.
I have been looking at the fall season differently then ever before. I have usually loved this time of year for it's sense of things passing on and letting go. Yet this year I have not watched in the same appreciation. All I see is the beginning of a season of brown. Calgary only turns brown once the leaves are gone and this makes me sad. If it went to snow and stayed that way I could handle it so much better.
Watching the mountains grow grey with age on the other hand is making me smile. Just thinking about it makes me happy. On the weekend I went for a hike with my parents and I told them I smelt snowboarding in the air. Truly I can smell the snow and the cold and it makes me think of riding down in sheer bliss watching the world pass by in it's white glory.
So as the leaves turn and fall to the ground I cannot find the lesson from it as I do most years but watching the mountains frost over is a most wonderful thing. I will gladly let the years pass me by as long as I can grow old together with those lofty peaks of Gods great handy work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home