Thursday, March 01, 2007

Well here I am in Williams Lake about to go and get my tooth fixed. You see when I was a kid, Like maybe 8 years old. I was at a hotel with my extended family on my dads side. As I leisurely and very carefully climbed the steps to the water slide I slipped and fell on my tooth. Seriously nothing else of my face hit the next step up, just my tooth. So suddenly there I was with one pained tooth and a chip. My uncle the dentist fixed it later that year. That fix has lasted till just a few months ago. And here I am once again with what I refer to as my hockey mouth. I awoke one morning in September of 2006 to find that the repair had removed itself in my sleep. Now truly it is not so bad and many around say it is "cute". But one friend said that I kind of remind her of Jim Carey and that was the last straw. To have a tooth that makes me think of a hockey player is one thing but Jim Carey? Oh Boy!
So yesterday mom, Caleb and I drove for about 12 hours or so to get here to have our teeth fixed. We will then spend the day here in the dentists chair and tomorrow we will be driving those same roads home again. Trust me the pain this trip causes one to suffer is not pleasant. For me the traveling does a number on my knees. (Yes I am a 27 year old with knees of a 40 year old.) Then it all comes down to the mouth, a day in the mouth (for me there shall not be much pain I hope for I believe all I have is this tooth to be fixed). My brother and mom on the other hand, wowsers. Caleb has somewhere between 5 and 12 cavities to be filled and mom has a crown to be made.
We decided yesterday as we got in the car (not one of us wants to be on this trip, it is not a holiday as Caleb reminded mom when she wanted white toast for breakfast instead of brown) that this was to be the worst trip ever. So far we are all taking part in making it so. I am amazed at how much laughter there has been for such a trip. At one point mom had to fill the coolant reservoir and so with her head under the hood Caleb and I discussed how we could continue to make this the "worst trip ever". To honk the horn would cause quit a shock to mom and well the excuse would be that we were doing our part. So far so good.
Somehow the camaraderie in this trip, the team work in being miserable together has made it much more livable. Instead of one of us trying to make it seem better then it is we are all in it together. And that has made it great.
(we still have to drive home yet so here's hoping "the worst trip ever" will continue to live up to its name.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home